Monday, July 20, 2009

Inexpensive Gifts for Younger Kids - Make Your Own Playdough!

We were invited to my niece's birthday party this past weekend and I was at a loss on what to get her. She is the youngest of 5 and pretty much has everything a kid could want to play with already.

I also had another problem in that I did not want to spend a lot of money on the present as #1 - I am frugal by nature and #2 - my sister has a tendency to give everything away to the goodwill within six months of her kids getting any gifts.

So I hit upon an idea - I made play dough for my niece! I purchased 2 packs of 2 plastic containers each at the dollar store (along with a birthday card for fifty cents) and then I proceeded to make four different colors and fill the tubs with play dough!

Here is the recipe:

* 1 cup of flour
* 1 cup of warm water
* 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon of oil
* 1/4 cup of salt
* food coloring of choice until desired color is reached

You have to combine the ingredients in a sauce pan over medium to high heat until it is congealing. You then take the mixture out of the pot and kneed it on a cutting board until it reaches 'play dough' texture. (Be careful when you first pull it out of the pot, because it will be hot!)

The present only ended up costing me the $2.00 for the containers, the cost of the ingredients for four batches of the recipe above and the fifty cent birthday card. Not bad - especially when you consider that this present was the one my niece loved the most!

She was delighted when she opened it and she had to play with it as soon as she finished her dinner! (Even before the birthday cake was cut if you can imaging that!)

So, next time you want an inexpensive, creative, easy to make gift - try the play dough idea above. It will be a hit!

Until another frugal moment hits -

The Frugal Queen